What is İSTYADEP?
İSTYADEP (Istanbul Publication Sponsorship Project) is a sponsorship programme run by the Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality (IMM)’s affiliate company Kültür A.Ş. (a.k.a. Culture Co.) that intends to lend support to publishers aiming to translate and publish works that bring to light, preserve, and globally promote the cultural and artistic values of Istanbul.
What is the main objective of İSTYADEP?
In order to promote the culture of Istanbul on international platforms through a series of quality and original publications, the project aims to encourage the translation of selected works of urban culture, academic research, history, arts and children’s literature into languages other than Turkish and subsequently their dissemination in countries speaking the respective language, thereby contributing to the promotion of the urban and national culture.
Why is İSTYADEP needed?
Serving as the capital of various civilizations throughout history, Istanbul is one of the few cities combining the past and the future together. It is one of the principal duties of Kültür A.Ş., an affiliate company of the IMM, to preserve
the historical heritage of this city which is the crossroads of different cultures and transmit these values to later generations. Founded to contribute to the cultural and artistic life in Istanbul by offering high-quality goods and services and to carry out various activities to promote the city’s cultural heritage at a global scale, Kültür A.Ş. strives, with its ever-increasing efforts, to diversify the range of its services. Pursuant to the Guidelines set out by Kültür A.Ş. to promote Istanbul’s historical, geographical, cultural, and artistic heritage particularly in the rest of the world, prospective publications are to be conditionally sponsored during the translation or printing stages.
The following areas shall be given priority in applications for İSTYADEP:
• City-themed books and guidebooks describing Istanbul’s tangible and intangible heritage, as well as its historical and cultural values in an eloquent and popular style,
• Academic, historical and cultural publications that could potentially contribute to promoting the culture of Istanbul and Turkey,
• Publications promoting traditional Turkish culture in various branches of fine arts, using classical and modern techniques,
• Children’s literature of high quality that is produced in line with development stages of children and youth as well as their interests, tastes and expectations, and aiming to contribute to their moral development.
Who are the potential applicants and how can they apply to İSTYADEP?
Only publications in a foreign language (i.e. other than Turkish) are eligible for İSTYADEP applications. The application form and further information on İSTYADEP are available at www.istyadep.istanbul
What are the documents to be appended to the Application Form?
The following documents shall be appended to the Application Form:
• A copy of the applicant’s publishing license which is to be obtained from the authorities of his respective country,
• A copy of the contract with the copyright owner authorising the applicant for publication,
• A copy of the translation contract,
• Resumé of the translator,
• A copy of the original book to be translated,
• Corporate catalogue of the publisher (printed or digital),
• An official publication/translation licence granted by an authorised institution or a certificate of the relevant committee’s approval in addition to the required documents for application, in circumstances where the publisher is officially required to take permission from national authorities before publishing a work or in circumstances where the publication of a work depends on a supreme board’s approval.
The applicant shall append the Turkish or English translations of the application documents in case they are written in a language other than Turkish or English. The application form (signed and stamped) and the other required documents shall be sent to the following address via email: email@example.com
At least twice a year, the İSTYADEP Advisory Committee convenes to assess the pending applications and decides on the publishing houses deemed eligible for sponsorship. Applicant publishing houses are notified in writing about the assessment results.
What are the evaluation criteria for the applications to İSTYADEP?
During the process of evaluating the applications, the İSTYADEP Advisory Committee takes the following criteria into consideration: • The literary quality of the work,
• The experience level of the translator,
• The publisher’s marketing strategies.
What types of works are most particularly encouraged for application under İSTYADEP programme?
İSTYADEP programme primarily supports the applications for “Istanbul-themed” works.
What types of works are NOT eligible for application under İSTYADEP programme?
The following types of works are NOT eligible for application under İSTYADEP programme:
• Works that can be classified under the fields of medicine, natural sciences, applied sciences, ecology and business world,
• Course textbooks, lecture notes, and academic conference proceedings,
• Journals, magazines, and other periodicals,
• Leaflets or pamphlets.
What are the types of sponsorship under İSTYADEP?
Publishers may select on their application forms only one of the alternatives for sponsorship — i.e. either for “translation” costs or for “printing” costs.
• The application form and the other required documents shall be sent to the following address by mail or delivered by hand: İstanbul Büyükşehir Belediyesi, Kültür A.Ş. Genel Müdürlüğü
Maltepe Mah. Topkapı Kültür Parkı, Osmanlı Evleri, 34010, Topkapı, Zeytinburnu, Istanbul, TURKEY.
Phone: +90 212 467 0777, Fax: +90 212 467 0799
• A contract in two languages (Turkish and English) shall be concluded and signed between Kültür A.Ş. and each publisher that has been granted the publication sponsorship for translating or printing the selected work.
• Sponsored publishing houses are required to publish the relevant work within two years following the signing of the contract and send 30 gratis copies of the said work directly to Kültür A.Ş.
• Publishers warrant that the logo of Kültür A.Ş. along with their own logo shall appear in due prominence on the jacket, title page and on the binding of every copy printed and on all advertisements issued of the work by the publisher or their agents. Publishers also warrant that the following notice shall be printed in each copy of the work on the back of the title page as follows: “This book has been translated/printed with the financial support of Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality, Culture Co.’s programme titled ‘Istanbul Publication Sponsorship Project (İSTYADEP)’.”
• Kültür A.Ş. may place limits on the print run without any time restrictions.
• Without prior consent of Kültür A.Ş., publishers shall not partially or entirely alienate the right to publish the sponsored title to others, and shall not hire another translator for the work.
• Publishers are required to notify Kültür A.Ş. in writing within 10 days about any administrative or physical changes (address, contacts, etc.) that might occur after their application.
• Kültür A.Ş. may request for certain information/documents concerning the sponsored title (progress of translation, printing process, etc.) from the publisher, who is to send the requested information and/or documents to Kültür A.Ş. within a maximum of 15 days.
• The publisher shall inform Kültür A.Ş. in written at least once every 6 months from the date of the contract by mail delivery or via email about the exact translation and publication processes of the work.
Applications to İSTYADEP are open throughout the year. Applications duly completed without missing documents shall be assessed in biannual meetings held by the İSTYADEP Advisory Committee.
The deadline for the first application period ends on the last work day in September 2018.
The announcement date for the first assessment results is the last work day in December 2018.
The deadline for the second application period ends on the last work day in April 2019.
The announcement date for the second assessment results is the last work day in June 2019.
Any changes in deadlines and announcement dates are to be announced at www.istyadep.istanbul
Can a title be sponsored if it has already been published in the native language of the applicant’s country?
The Advisory Committee shall assess the applications made for titles already published in previous years in the same country and language in consideration of various criteria including the title’s characteristics, year of its publication or translation, and its availability in the market.
What is the minimum print run for applications to the sponsorship programme?
For a title submitted to sponsorship application, the planned print run is to be a minimum of 1,000 copies.
When is the time of payment to the contracted publishers for sponsored titles?
Following the approval of the Committee’s decisions, a contract in two languages (Turkish and English) is to be concluded between publishers and Kültür A.Ş. for each title. Once the translation of the first 10 pages of the sponsored title is sent to and approved by Kültür A.Ş., the amount of financial support determined by the Committee shall be transferred at one time, in foreign currency type (USD, or American dollar), and within a 30-day period to the bank account specified in the application form by the publisher.
You can download the file from here.